Re: Fuel pump vents, 77MGB

To: "Bud Krueger" <bkrueger@ici.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump vents, 77MGB
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 19:10:22 -0000
>   (1) The new SU pump has what appear to be two small vents, one at the
base of
>the body and the other on the electrical cover.  Can anyone tell me what
these
>are for?  Are they to be plumbed in somehow, or are they just superfluous?

Because the pump consists of a diaphragm moving back the air spaces behind
the diaphragm and in the contact space at the other end of the solenoid
plunger need to be vented to the air to stop the cavities pressurising and
adding resistance to the operation of the solenoid and diaphragm.  In both
cases they have plastic tubes routed to the boot/trunk and terminated in
washer tees.  They are secured in the forward lower right-hand corner.  On
my 73 the pipes are of two different diameters, that at the contact end is
larger and actually fits over the plastic housing for the metal connector,
rather than the metal connector itself.

PaulH.