Re: replacing pistons - Technical Caveat.

To: Bert Palte <palte@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: replacing pistons - Technical Caveat.
From: Gaetke <gaetke@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 10:19:20 -0800
At 03:15 PM 1/9/1999, you wrote:
>Perhaps the following info is of interest to you.
>
>In case you put new (or used) pistons into an existing cylinder bore,
>you MUST use special L-shaped (stepped O.D.)  repair piston rings.
>This is to make sure that the new piston rings do not collide with the old
>wear
>ridge in the cylinder bore (near TDC). The new top ridge of the upper
>piston ring is a bit lower than the original one.

<<snip>>

        If you ridge ream (as I heard somewhere :) that I should) doesn't that
make it possible to use stock rings?  I can rent a ridge reamer free for
nothin' from a parts store, so shouldn't I be set with that?

        I don't know, I've never done it, but that's the way I thought it works.
If it isn't, let me know quick, if I'll be getting rings from Germany... :)

  -Matt