Re: replacing pistons - Technical Caveat.

To: Gaetke <gaetke@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: replacing pistons - Technical Caveat.
From: Bert Palte <palte@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 15:15:08
At 15:40 9-01-99 -0800, you wrote:
>At 08:13 AM 1/8/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>>Matt...

. It's remotely possible I might have a
>>good, used one, too.
>>
>>Lawrie

Perhaps the following info is of interest to you.

In case you put new (or used) pistons into an existing cylinder bore,
you MUST use special L-shaped (stepped O.D.)  repair piston rings.
This is to make sure that the new piston rings do not collide with the old
wear
ridge in the cylinder bore (near TDC). The new top ridge of the upper
piston ring is a bit lower than the original one.

I'm not sure whether they are available for an M.G.B. though it is very
likely that they are.
I've used them myself a few times in the past (that was about 20 ~ 25 years
ago, when, as a student, (i) I could only afford old bangers, (ii) I always
did all the work on my car myself, and (iii) having a car, even as a
student, was soooo much easier, as there were no annual safety inspections
yet  :^) ) and I was very pleased with the result.
If I remember correctly, Goetze in Germany makes (or made) them them but
there are probably others around too. They are not expensive. You need to
know the correct bore oversize though, before ordering.

BTW if you are even remotely interested in piston ring engineeering, check
the website "www.rottink.nl". I found it very interesting (Usual
disclaimers apply).

Bert