Re: Polished intake

To: ENRIQUE CLAURE <spaninc@mail.entelnet.bo>
Subject: Re: Polished intake
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:46:39 -0800
Enrique, I think doing some light polishing and gasket matching wouldn't
hurt anything whatsoever, as long as you don't get carried away.  I
believe the siamesed ports and non-crossflow design kill the MGBs
breathing ability.  The VW/air cooled motors are easier to port, since
you don't have to worry about hitting water jackets.  I have a set of
air cooled heads with valves 6 mm over stock with heavy porting.  Not a
problem, but maybe a problem with water cooled.

I'm getting some Vizard books and other engine fundamentals books, so
that I can learn to port.  I've heard that it isn't terribly hard, if
you only are doing light work, and you can get very respectable gains,
but realize that your gains will likely be in the upper RPM range, and
you will also need to be concerned with matching intake and exhaust to
complement the work.

Hope I didn't confuse things badly.  I'd say go for it, but I wouldn't
go do anything serious, and if you're paying someone else to do the
work, then don't get carried away and pay $250 for 5 HP at 6000 RPM.

This summer I plan on doing some porting and polishing on some old heads
I have.  Then I plan to build a crude flow bench to find out what the
results are.

Jay

OH, BTW, I think you should do both the exhaust and intake porting.
Match the exhaust and intake gaskets and you'll be on your way.