MGA 1600 Top Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA 1600 Top Question
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 21:37:14 -0500
Good evening

I finally got the top in place on my 1960 MGA 1600 yesterday evening.
The top had been off for several months, and as the weather turned cold,

didn't want to stretch enough to fit.  I finally turned a space heater
on and directed the warm air at the top and got it to fit into place.

In looking at it, thought, it does not seem to be fitting very well.
The front frame of the top fits down fully on the windscreen frame
(there is no gap on the inside), but there appears to be about 1/2 inch
of the front bow or frame that sits above the windscreen.  On top of
this exposed (though it is covered by fabric or vinyl) bow is the bead
of the top itself.  Almost looks like some sort of air dam.

Is this normal, or is this an improperly installed after market top.
The top was with the car when I bought it this spring, and the car had
been stored in dry storage for 20 years.  Top is in good shape, other
than the fit.  Windows are clear for the most part, no holes in the top,

frame not rusted.  Hate to junk a good top just because of the
appearance and fit.

Any observations?

Thanks

M. W. Jordan, Jr.