Torque..

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Torque..
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 01:08:28 +1000
Hi all,

>>  much as 75%, therefore meaning that you need to use less torque during
>>  tightening.
>

>Torque specs are always given for clean lubricated threads.  After all the
>torque specs for any automotive fastener are written by the car maker.  I
feel
>it is safe to say that when cars are built, the threads are clean and
lubed.

There's been a big discussion on this very topic on the Healey list. I'm
hearing two conflicting points of view there and now here! As I'm in the
process of an Engine rebuild and will be replacing the studs, bolts, nuts
etc I really want to know which is the right avenue to follow. Lubricate the
threads or not - I want to torque to what it says in the Workshop manual, so
how are their figures quoted - dry or lubricated? If lubricated, with what?

Cheers,
Neil.