Re: Valves & Motor removal.

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valves & Motor removal.
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:28:25
At 02:46 PM 1/16/99 +1000, Neil Cotty wrote:
>.... get this - the two exhaust valves on 2 & 3 chambers, came out
complete with this sort of copper sleeve attached! .... This doesn't appear
to be part of the guide itself. .... On #3, the sleve was moving *with* the
valve! ....

Ah, yes, that nifty little copper sleeve.  When valve guides wear out, one
relatively inexpensive way of refreshing them is to drill them out a little
and install a thin-wall sleeve.  Not so long ago a shop did this to me and
passed it off as "new bronze valve guides".  Maybe it wouldn't have
bothered me so much, except that I'm pretty sure they were copper or brass
tubing and not any form of bronze.  And I was charged the full price for
new solid bronze guides and the replacement thereof.  Within a year they
were being replaced again with the real thing.  However, none of them came
loose as you have described, so I suspect your case was shoddy workmanship.

$.02,

Barney Gyalord
1958 MGA with an attitude