Re: Was cylinder heads unleaded fuel

To: Matt.Kulka@hboc.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Was cylinder heads unleaded fuel
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:42:53 EST
In a message dated 1/15/99 11:08:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Matt.Kulka@hboc.com writes:

> BTW, urban myth rebuttal:  Higher octane fuel does not give an engine more
>  power.  Octane is the ability of the fuel to resist pinging, or
>  'pre-detonation.'  You can get more power from higher compression.  However
>  this higher compression will increase the affinity for pinging.  Thus, the
>  need for higher octane fuel in your big-hp motor.

OK, let me put my flame suit on here.
If an engine pre ignites (pings) the flame front in the cylinder is not
happening at the correct time, or it is not happening smoothly.  Both of these
conditions will not produce the same power as a properly firing engine.  The
difference won't be much, but it will be there.  So if you replace premium
with really crappy regular, you will feel a difference.  (and I do mean really
crappy)
I agree about your comments regarding higher compression.
Rick Ewald