RE: 70 MGB GT - Speedo Saga Continues

To: "'Gary Davis'" <6GPRO.GDAVIS@ibr6gw82.gp.usbr.gov>,
Subject: RE: 70 MGB GT - Speedo Saga Continues
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 14:58:31 -0500
I don't know what your original noise was, but let me offer this piece of
experience:

When my odometer hit 39999 it just stayed there.  I figured I could either
rename the car "Jack Benny" or take the speedo apart to have a look.  I
chose the latter.

When I put it back in, I made sure to screw the cable nut down nice and
tight (just by hand mind you).  When I took it out for a drive, I had an
awful scraping sound.  It turned out that if I left the cable nut a turn or
two loose, the scraping subsided.  I imagine the square end on the cable is
a hair too long, and it must be possible to push against the spinning magnet
inside the speedo so that it interferes on something.

Is that anything like what you have going on?

Matt Kulka
Huntersville, NC
'74 B