'73 MBG SIEZED ENGINE!!!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '73 MBG SIEZED ENGINE!!!
From: "Michael P. Thelen" <mthelen@jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:54:27 -0800
Hello everyone!

I am the one who had water in the oil a couple of days ago in my '73 MGB.
I changed out the oil, oil filter, put a battery on the car and tried to
turn her over.  Didnt start right away, so I put her in gear and tried to
rock her.  She didnt budge.

Way led onto way, and before the night was over I ended up taking off the
head.  The head gasket seemed in tact.  I thought a blown head gasket
meant the gasket was physically torn or had a hole blown in it.  Mine is
made of more like a metallic material and was still in tact.  However, I
saw "rust trails" between cylinders 2 and 3, and the block interface
showed definite presence of water!  The cylinders all had rust in them
and the pistons are just STUCK!!  Two of the valves are also stuck in the
open position even though it is off the block.  I tried putting some
tansmission fluid in the cylinders to clean them off and some penetrating
oil once I cleaned out the fluid.  After letting her sit for a while,
I just tried rocking the car and even pushing it down the driveway and
popping the clutch, only to skid for a couple feet.

Im bummed!  This is my first project car.  I see potential, but I am not
sure if I will end up putting more money into it than I will get out of
it.  I see the challenge and actually get a rush out of it.  However,
I dont know for sure if it was soley a gasket problem or how
much it will take to fix this problem. I am enthusiastic about MGs now
but I am frustrated with my own.  What is my next step, How much does it
cost to fix this problem, and what else should I be looking for in terms of
problems (or should it be in terms of cars?)?  Any inputs would be greatly
appreciated!

                                        Frustrated but Hopeful,

                                                                        - Mike -