Re: '73 MBG SIEZED ENGINE!!!

To: mthelen@jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: Re: '73 MBG SIEZED ENGINE!!!
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 21:19:56 EST
On Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:54:27 -0800 "Michael P. Thelen"
<mthelen@jpl.nasa.gov> writes:
>Hello everyone!
>
>I am the one who had water in the oil a couple of days ago in my '73
>MGB.
>I changed out the oil, oil filter, put a battery on the car and tried
>turn her over.  Didnt start right away, so I put her in gear and tried
>rock her.  She didnt budge.
>
>Way led onto way, and before the night was over I ended up taking off
>the
>head.  The head gasket seemed in tact.  I thought a blown head gasket
>meant the gasket was physically torn or had a hole blown in it.  Mine
>is
>made of more like a metallic material and was still in tact.  However,
>saw "rust trails" between cylinders 2 and 3, and the block interface
>showed definite presence of water!  The cylinders all had rust in them
>
>and the pistons are just STUCK!!  Two of the valves are also stuck in
>the
>open position even though it is off the block.  I tried putting some
>tansmission fluid in the cylinders to clean them off and some
>penetrating
>oil once I cleaned out the fluid.  After letting her sit for a while,
>I just tried rocking the car and even pushing it down the driveway and
>
>popping the clutch, only to skid for a couple feet.
>
>Im bummed!  This is my first project car.  I see potential, but I am
>not
>sure if I will end up putting more money into it than I will get out
>of
>it.  I see the challenge and actually get a rush out of it.  However,
>I dont know for sure if it was soley a gasket problem or how
>much it will take to fix this problem. I am enthusiastic about MGs now
>
>but I am frustrated with my own.  What is my next step, How much does
>it
>cost to fix this problem, and what else should I be looking for in
>terms of
>problems (or should it be in terms of cars?)?  Any inputs would be
>greatly
>appreciated!
>
>                                       Frustrated but Hopeful,
>
>                                                                       -

>Mike -

Slow down Mike....
Read Barneys check list again....... read the Porter book and look
through whichever manual you decide upon; they all rationalize the
situation
You've already had some sound advice on freeing the rings and some of
what to do next - Where are you? - sounds like you need a bit of a second
opinion-
Most list members will pontificate in person for the price of a couple of
beers !
Dont get overwhelmed - like i said the other day - one job at a time and
you'll get there but forget the "getting out" of your money.....it jus'
don' work that way but you'll get more out of it than you can know now.
BTW - there are lots of perfectly good used engines around at very little
cost in case this one gets too scary!

mike robson
69 roadster (with 300 miles on its SECOND rebuilt engine of the year)
70 BGT
53 Riley