Re: 45 degrees advance at idle?

To: Rick Guynn <rcg1597@wt.net>
Subject: Re: 45 degrees advance at idle?
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 21:08:10 +0000
Hi Rick,

The distributor can only go into the block in one orientation, but the spindle
that drives it has, I think, six teeth so it could be in wrong giving you
incorrect timing readings.

To check this, remove the distributor with the engine at TDC.  The slot in the
distributor drive spindle should be about 15 degrees counter-clockwise from
horizontal with the larger side uppermost.

If not, a long 5/16 fine bolt will screw into the middle of the spindle so you
can pull it out and turn it until the slot is in the correct orientation.  The
air filter bolts work for this.

Hope this helps.

Denise Thorpe
And I use the vacuum advance line to bleed the brakes...and front crossmember
bolts to remove the main caps.  It's not a car, it's a tool box!