Re: Overheating?-Reply

To: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overheating?-Reply
From: "Scotty" <scotty@dove.net.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:13:27 +0930
On Thursday, 28 January Andy asked

>When I stop the car however, maybe to go to a shope for 10 minutes or so, I
>come back to the car and notice the temp gauge is way up almost in the 'H'
>area.  When I start up again the temp. goes back down to 'N' quite quickly.
>Does anyone else notice this phenomena, and should I be concerned?

Perfect! or every MG I have been the custodian of has had the same 'problem'
if it does something different from this 'Worry'. I recently had a
situation, on a club run, where the MGB-LE temperature guage was running
hotter for the ambient temperature on the day. I intended to examine the car
when we got home that  Sunday to discover this change from 'normal' for the
car. At home I parked in front of the garage and switched off the engine.
The heat build up and related pressure build up in the engine was enough to
call attention to the problem. The bottom radiater hose "with the heater
hose cast in" burst with a loud whump! Oh! lookie there, I thought, that's a
worry! A replacement hose the next day fixed situation and the car is as
good as new. Of course, this had to be the most expensive hose to buy in the
whole engine bay!!!

Drive them till the roads wear out!

Scotty,
Adelaide.Australia.
'79 MGB-LE  { with pristine bottom rad hose. }