Re: Bolts and Things

To: prsmith@navnet.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bolts and Things
From: Albert F Jones <fisher@hctc.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 19:56:34 -0600
Hello Preston,

        You should get a copy of Carroll Smith's  'Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and
Plumbing' handbook, around $20.00.  Classic Motor Books or Amazon should
have it.  I also have a copy of a message, sent to this list, from Neil
Cairns, which goes into quite a bit of detail about fasteners, if you want
it I will send it to you.

        As to using your tap and die set, Sears (Craftsman), Matco and Snap On,
all have charts that tell what size drill bit you should use to tap a
certain sized hole.  Many times these charts come with drill bit index
sets.  I am sure there are any number of engineering or machinist books
that tell how to 'do it'.  There probably _is_ some place on the internet
as well - sorry - I don't have that info.  Honestly,  the best way IMHO, is
to find some old retired machinist or tool and die man, who has time on his
hands, and get him to teach you.  These guys know things that aren't in any
books.

Fisher Jones
Comfort, TX.

At 08:52 PM 1/27/99 -0400, prsmith@navnet.net wrote:
>I need to further my education.
>
>I am in the process of removing bits and pieces form my '62 MGA.  As I
>replace these items i would like to do so with new hardware. Can anyone
>tell me how to tell whether a British bolt of that era is of mild or
>hardened steel?  There are some marks on the head of the bolts but I have
>not been able to find out what they mean.
>
>I bought my first tap and die set today.  Is there a good tutorial on the
>web on how to use such things?  What are the drill sizes one should use
>prior to tapping a hole?  In the absence of a web site can anyone send me
>some tips on how to use these instruments?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Preston

>| Our 62 MGA 1600 MK II and 80 MGB LE are waiting for warm weather
>| Betti Ann and Preston Smith in the Head of St Margaret's Bay, Nova
Scotia, Canada.