RE: Bolts and Things

To: prsmith@navnet.net
Subject: RE: Bolts and Things
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:47:23 -0800
Preston:

        The US grade 5 bolt is the lightest suitable for automotive use.
        The problem with making up bolt packs is that standard size bolts
have a standardized thread length.  In many cases the bolts on our cars have
a specialized thread length that is not readily available from commercial
sources.  Also the original bolts may have had tapered ends which are also
not readily available.
        Basic assembly bolts are readily available from bolt sources.  But
quantities under 100 lot are expensive.  My suggestion is to get some people
together and order in bulk the popular assembly sizes.  Any fastener that is
going into a closed end hole should be inspected carefully so that thread
length is correct, if in doubt clean and reuse the original.  Common sense
prevails.  The bolt kits coming out of the UK now, really help in difficult
areas such as the later B fuel tank and engine to transmission fasteners.

Kelvin.