Engine paint colors

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine paint colors
From: Vallely <vallely@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:59:30 -0500
Hi all--
The 'Primer' thread prompts me to ask somethimg I've been wondering
about.
The Moss engine maroon, though said to be of good quality, looks nothing
like the red on my 1600 engine. I know paints change color with time,
light, heat, oil, etc. Yet I'm hard pressed to believe that any of the
slightly varying reds, anywhere on or in my engine, were ever as dark as
Moss's color. I have a can, but I'm reluctant to use it. I want to come
as close to the original color as I can, within reason.
Anyone have any thoughts/information/opinions on this to share? Is there
reason to accept that the engines were originally 'Moss' color?
John Vallely
'59 mga