Kingpins and wishbones and knuckles, oh my!

To: "'Oracle of MG'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Kingpins and wishbones and knuckles, oh my!
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:35:12 -0500
Good evening MG people,

I was going to hold off on this question, because I'm about to tear into my
rear axle, and I don't want to get too many irons in the fire.  However,
with the news that SICP may be selling out cheap I'm thinking of what
expensive things I may need soon.  To wit...

Last time I had the '74 B on stands I was wiggling the front wheels to see
if I had much play in the wheel bearings.  (Does that even work with the
spacer and shims an MG uses?)  Anyway, I found my play, and the next thing
to postpone my carburetor rebuild looks like front end bushings.  (I've
never done suspension work, but I figure with a two-seater, there's a limit
to how many people I can kill if I screw it up.)  What I don't know is how
to decide if I need to rebuild or replace the kingpin assemblies.  Can I
measure the wear on the various parts before I rip it all apart?  Is it
possible to see the ovaling of holes before I take out the bolts and
bushings?  In fact, once I get the kingpin assembly off, is it just a matter
of shaking it around in the swivel axle to decide if it's any good?

I would very much appreciate all of your well-seasoned advice and possibly
your condolences.

Matt Kulka
Huntersville, NC
'74 B - which clunks at both ends, now that I think about it.