Gas tank sealer

To: "mgs-digest list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gas tank sealer
From: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 07:20:55 -0500
>Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 17:28:19 EST
>From: BDurgin1@aol.com
>Subject: Gas tank sealer

>I've heard there are a number of different products recommended for sealing
>fuel tanks.  I'm getting ready to drop mine next week from it's origianl
spot
>for the last 35 years for a number of  other reasons, but I'm not sure it
>leaks or at least doesn't seem to at this point.  Nonetheless, I want to
seal
>it up before putting it back in....

>1.  Opinions on which internal sealer is best?

>2. Do I need to use a special seal or paint on the exterior prior to
>refitting?

>Thanks,

>Bruce Durgin
>64 B

Bruce, I have the tank out of my 71 BGT and find it to be in good condition
except for a few pin holes on the top where there is a  groove which must
have allowed dirt and moisture to remain.

I also considered sealer but the inside of the tank looks perfect and no
rust or debris is making it's way to the carburetors.  Some sealer can
migrate in the presence of alcohol blended fuels while others seem perfectly
safe.

I'd like to sandblast the exterior of my tank, solder the holes and repaint,
period.  Problem??  There is a baffle in the tank and cleaning the sand and
grit from the tank after sandblasting may not be easy.  If any grit remains,
the sealer should combine with it and hold it in the tank.

The last thing you want to do is create problems which did not exist before
the "repairs".

To answer your questions, Bruce, I think the Bill Hirsh sealer may be a good
one and any exterior paint should suffice.

Fred Pixley
Napanee, Ontario, Canada