RE: Temporary Windscreen

To: MG_List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Temporary Windscreen
From: John Greenwood <bmartin@southeast.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 10:22:16 -0500
> Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 08:23:31 -0600
> From: Richard D Arnold
> Subject: Temporary Windscreen
>
> I was leafing through my Haynes MGB manual last night.  Near the
> beginning  is a photograph showing emergency items and spares one should
> keep on hand, including a 'temporary windscreen.'   The idea of a
> temporary windscreen interests me:  can someone tell me what the product
> is and how it works?  Of course, if it's just a sheet of plastic (to be
> thrown over the parked vehicle to prevent water damage until the broken
> windscreen is replaced) it is nowhere near as interesting as I thought.
>
> Rich
> Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA

Temp windscreens are (were?) a popular accessory in the UK. The reason
has two parts to it. First they, for some reason, used to fit
"toughened" glass instead of "laminated" which is mandated by law in the
US. As you know, when toughened glass breaks it shatters into many small
chunks. This leads to the second part which is, in the UK when they
paved a road they put down the asphalt and then apparently dumped gravel
over the top and only lightly rolled it down with the modern version of
a steam roller. For months after, cars traveling over this road slung
gravel which shattered following cars screens- hence the need for a
temporary one. If you want to be able to get home you need something to
keep the rain and bugs out. These screens are generally a roll of stiff
plastic that somehow clips in one "A" post across to the other.

Hope This Helps,
John Greenwood
Jacksonville, Florida
1966 Mini Cooper S