Re: Listers - a question or two

To: bachldrs@swva.net
Subject: Re: Listers - a question or two
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 09:50:54 EST
Allen,
  Try these simple things before you get into the expense of new blowers.
  1.  Just rinse out the heater core.  Detach the hoses and hold a garden
hose to them.  Turn on the pressure and amuse yourself with the amount of
crud that comes out of the heater core. If it is like mine, it will be
loaded with rust, dirt and other things that you have been missing for
years.  Rinse in both directions. Reconnect.
  2.  Check that the little heater valve on the block is actually open.
They are pushed by the cable so that the lever should be at the limit of
the most outboard position of the slot in which it turns.  If the lever
is not there when the heat control is at HOT, then loosen the cable and
reposition it to fully open the valve.  It is possible that the rubber
part of the valve is stuck shut...could be time for a new valve, but you
can test this by feeling the temp of the heater hose and comparing it to
the upper radiator hose.
  3.  Switch the two heater motor wires in their connectors to the power
supply.  On several MGBs where I have checked this, what appears to be
the correct color-coding is actually not correct. Connected one way the
motor will run faster than when connected the other way. Your hand at the
heater outlet will tell you---the difference is substantial.
Bob