MG restores belief in God...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG restores belief in God...
From: Dave McCauley <cozypow@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 02:07:20 -0600
Well guys (and gals)...

My MGB-GT has renewed my belief in God.  I wrote soliciting advice for
removing a stuck grease cap on my front wire wheel hub.  I managed to
puncture the cap through the hub retaining nut split pin hole in the
hub, and collapsing it enough to free it up...

Once the cap was remove, I looked into the hub and saw, horrors of
horror!  The nut had NO SPLIT PIN!!!  DPO!!!  Between me an my sister,
we have put over 65,000 miles on this car since we acquired it.  The
bearings have never caused any concern, and they are fine now, not too
tight or loose, but as to what was holding that nut inplace, can only be
explained by the grace of God!  Of course, I haven't tried to remove the
nut yet, because I don't have a socket to fit.  (Anyone know the size?)
I suppose its possible that its frozen onto the threads, but I can't see
any corrosion.

I feel very lucky that the wheel never departed while at speed!  I can
tell you this, my first order of business after replacing this hub will
be to check the other side!!!  No one is this lucky for this long!

Can I get an amen from ya?

-dave-
cozypow@worldnet.att.net