Re: Auto-X fever

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Auto-X fever
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 14:42:48 -0800
Jay,

What mods does your 'B have?  Odds are you'll be in either
HS or DSP.  H Stock if your car is stock, and for the most
common suspension mods and so forth D Street Prepared. Any
SP class is *competitive*.  You'll be running against guys
who trailer their cars and have 3 sets of tires. Even in stock,
you'll meet a lot of folks we take their runs in the parking lot
seriously.

That said, your two primary goals should be to learn something
and have fun.  Try to find someone who knows MGs (which really
isn't too hard at an event, you'll get a lot of "I had one of those
back in...")  Tire pressure?  A lot higher than you think.

Shift point?  Well, not as big of a concern for those first
few autocross runs as you'd think.  And the academic argument
could go on for a long time.  Basically you want to shift at
a point that will keep you in the power band once you get into
the higher gear.

Two things you can hope for:  your region has a novice class
and a street tire class.  Comparing your times to other street
tire competitors will make you feel a little bit better.  The
difference between street and autox tires is shocking.

Again, having fun is the most important thing.  My wife drove
in her first event on 24 Jan, on street tires.  She had a blast,
and each time was better, and her best time wasn't much off my
worst!

Let us know how you do!

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                  http://www.TeamSanctuary.com/