Re: Rebuilt Engine, No Oil Pressure

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rebuilt Engine, No Oil Pressure
From: don <brgmgb@napanet.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:53:06 -0800 (PST)
I rebuilt several MGA and MGB engines over the years.  One time I could not
figure out why no oil pressure.  I even borrowed an oil priming device from
my machine shop.  Nothing would give me oil pressure.  In desperation, I
pulled the pan and took off the oil pump.  I discovered that I had used an
incorrect gasket on the oil pump- several different oil pump gaskets were
provided in the gasket set and the one I used blocked one of the oil
passages.  What a lesson I learned on that one!

Don Scott

At 10:36 AM 2/3/99 -0500, you wrote:
>After 15 years of good service my '66 MGBs began to show slightly
>diminished oil pressure. I decided it was time for a rebuild. I stripped
>the block sent it to a well reputed machine shop to have all the machine
>work done. I reassembled the engine with new parts and dropped it back
>in. I filled the engine and oil filter with oil. Without the ignition
>plugs installed I turned over the engine, no oil pressure at the gauge.
>I removed the hose to the oil cooler to see if oil was pumping through.
>With the hose disconnected and the engine turning over no oil came out.
>I started to think about what I could have done wrong. I thought about
>installing the new oil pump wrong but I think it only goes in one way.
>Perhaps the machine shop did not replace all the oil galley plugs. Then
>someone told me that it is easy for air to block the system and keep the
>pump from working. If this is true are there tricks for priming the
>system? Or are the other mistakes I could have made that would create
>this problem. I really need help.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Graham

RetroMobilia w/ original advertising artwork featuring:
    Riley 1.5, '62 Buick, '91 Miata Special Edition, & MG TF, & 215 V8
Check it out:
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2508/