Re: NEMGT website

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NEMGT website
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 19:27:29 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Leckstein wrote:

> Chip, I cannot get to the site. My server cannot resolve
> www.nemgt.org.  Can you provide me with the IP address?  You can get
> the ip address by going to a DOS prompt and typing:
>       ping www.nemgt.org
> This should resolve this name into a series of 4 numbers separated by
> periods. I can try going straight to this address.

Mike, I'm posting to the list even though your message was sent privately.
Hope you don't mind, but others here have also expressed interest.

DOS prompt???  I'm a UNIX and Macintosh user.  DOS is not spoken here. :-)
I'm also a network manager and an ISP (see signature below), so I know
more about IP addresses than any sane person would care to know.

At this moment I can't get to the Register Web site, nor can nslookup (on
UNIX or Mac) resolve www.nemgt.org into an IP address.

I also can't reach either of the nameservers listed by InterNIC for
nemgt.org by name (mail.syra.net & shell.syra.net) or by IP address
(204.75.204.6 & 204.75.204.3).

Traceroutes to 204.75.204.6 and 204.75.204.3 get from my site to alter.net
(my upstream provider), then to digex.net, then to emi.net.  At that point
they starts bouncing back and forth repeatedly between emi.net and
digex.net until the traceroute maxes out at 30 hops.  That most likely
means the problem is a routing table error at emi.com.

If the problem still exists later tonight, I'll send e-mail to Hank et al
describing the problem, and to hostmaster@emi.net & hostmaster@digex.net.

Sigh.  I guess I'm just gonna have to get active in the Register again and
offer to host nemgt.org and it's web site here.  :-(

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold@bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
Baltimore County Public Library         Pager:   410-899-2956
320 York Road                           ICBM:    39.39910 N
Towson, Maryland 21204 U.S.A.                    76.60300 W