Racing Wires - whats the deal

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Racing Wires - whats the deal
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:45:39 -0800
When considering my future (distant future $$$) wheel purchase, and after
taking into consideration the fact that I want to do some autox, it
seemed a given to convert to bolt-on hubs and get some mags (I like
the minilite style - not a problem).

But then I noticed something - hey all these pictures of Bs "back in the
day" at Sebring, Le Mans, and what have you in the 60s the cars are running
on knockoffs!!  Some minilites, some wires.  If its good enough for Paddy
and Timo, its good enough for me.

So whats the deal?  Were those standard or uprated splined hubs?  Did
they use some sort of "pin" device I've heard mentioned?  How would current
72-spoke offerings from the usual suspects (Moss - Dunlop?) stand up?

I'm a sucker for wires, what can I say.  I love how they go all blurry
when you go fast and the spinners look like little blender blades. But I
don't want to break the bank on wheels I'm going to thrash about.

Curious, Skye

--
1966 MGB        The MGB Experience         __,__\__      Safety Fast!
GHN3L-70307     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     MGOFR 1.375