RE: Racing Wires - whats the deal

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Subject: RE: Racing Wires - whats the deal
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:12:19 -0800
Skye:

        Bill has sage advice.  My 65 Sebring replica is still on wire
wheels.  I was able to secure a set of Stag 14X5.5 72 spoke wheels which are
very strong, but heavy.  The wire wheels restricted my ability to late brake
as I was always waiting for the ripping sound of the front splines giving
out.  The good news is that my rear axles are less likely to snap than those
of a stock early steel wheel rear end.
        If you are serious about racing or auto crossing, go with bolt on
wheels.  It's one less thing to worry about.  My car is more living history
than racer, but even so I am looking at the mod. Lloyd Faust came up with to
modify the early wire wheel axles to accept bolt on wheels.  Bolt on
minilites are a lot cheaper than 5.5 wires to keep spare tires on.
        Keep in mind Paddy and Timo had factory backing.  Wheels and splines
were replaced on a regular basis.

Kelvin.