Re: Alternator light

To: buffymgb@ria.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternator light
From: "John Stephens" <jrs97@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 07:43:42 PST
Kathy,
I have a similar problem with my '76B. I think the cause of the problem
is a faulty diode in the alternator; in my case the alternator gives out
enough voltage to maintain a charge on the battery so I am leaving it
alone. In response to a question I asked of the list a few months back
some people had been driving with this problem for years whilst others
had see a quick deterioration and had been stranded at night with a flat
battery.
As yours is a new alternator I think you should return it under the
warranty and tell them you believe a diode has failed, the supplier
should be able to confirm this.
If you choose not to return it at least check if the alternator output
voltage is high enough to charge the battery with everything you use at
night switched on. If over time the alternator light gets brighter you
are heading towards failure.
John. '76B