Re: Alternator light

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternator light
From: Christian Stanton <cstanton@pixley.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:51:33 -0500
Remember the alternator is meant to show both undercharging (dead alternator)
and overcharging (faulty voltage reg).  Won't adding a diode into the circuit
defeat this?

I would be sure that what you are seeing at the alternator light is leaking
diodes in the alternator and not corrosion (not with Lucas surely!) in the
alternator control circut.

Perhaps I am all wet here, but I had this happen to me on an older SAAB with a
Bosch alternator with external voltage reg.  The wiring in the primary circuit
started to corrode and the alternator was overcharging, luckily (because of the
alternator light). I caught it as it melted the fuse/relay panel down and
before it caused a fire.