Fuel pump annoyance?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel pump annoyance?
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:30:26 -0800
Hi,

if anyone is keeping my emails then they will have a collection of things
that could go wrong and did.  Writing to the list is like writing a journal,
recording what has happened for posterity...

Dear Diary,

how I do hate that Mr Lucas.  The Prince of Darkness has struck me again,
although this time I think the blame must lie fairly and squarely on the
shoulders of Mr Skinner.  Imagine my consternation when I turned the key
this evening and *nothing* (well, nothing except the very dim glow of the
alternator light).  "What sorcery is this!", I exclaimed.   Thinking the
battery had mysteriously drained I enlisted the help of a colleague, who was
also working late, for a 'jump start'.  Finding this to no avail I toured
the car's electrical system with my flashlight and found everything appeared
to be in order.  "Hmm", thought I as I pondered my predicament.  No
headlights, no radio, nothing.  Curiously, however, if I left the ignition
on for a while the alternator light would light to full brightness.

Turn key, no click from solenoid.  I hoped to the forces of good and light
that the solenoid had not succumbed to the evil curse.  And yet, leaving the
ignition on, suddenly brightness from the alternator light!  The ignition
circuit was alive!  Turn key, silence, and within that, darkness.

The fuel pump?  It should click a few times to fill the bowls when I turn
the key, mayhaps it is indeed the problem.  Could the points be sticking and
putting too great a load on the electrical system?

And so, dear diary, I hit the fuel pump with my flashlight, and lo, it
worked.

What else will fail this week...

Andy