Re: New MG Magnette??

To: <miker15@juno.com>
Subject: Re: New MG Magnette??
From: Philip Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:10:29 +0000
On 12/2/99 2:33 am miker15@juno.com said

>I think i disagree here Phil - whilst badge engineering isn't much of an
>alternative, introducing an MG of this type back to the states could
>solve a couple of problems.
>1) the MG/Rover dealership network problems would HAVE to be solved -
>there are still dealers waiting to sue somebody for transgressions 18
>years ago compounded by the horrible Sterling debacle in the eighties -
>I've always thought these arguments were a major obstacle to MGs
>reintroduction - and it would be interesting to see if they chose to
>honour old "contracts" or use the BMW network - either way, there would
>have to be resolution
>2)Whilst there are myriad enthusiasts for the marque "keepin 'em on the
>road"
>there are probably as many "closet" MG freaks who enjoyed the cars in
>their youth but havnt owned one for years - and wouldnt want the same car
>now having aged more gracefully than the hard core (us! haha) and now
>prefer to place their expanding backsides and expanded families into the
>copious  seats of a sedan! - A new roadster isnt going to attract these
>folk but a rebadged 75 might well - after all it wouldnt be a rebadged
>car here!
>3)Any reintroduction of an /mg into the US market would lead to renewed
>awareness of the marque both for new car buyers and enthusiasts -
>especially if the model was a good vehicle to start with - who knows who
>we would draw out of the woodwork!!

The problem to me is that the 75 looks so much like a ROVER, not an MG.
Experience in the UK has shown that older people - who gave up their MGs
to have a family years ago) are more than happy to jump into an MGF -
which has saloon (sedan to you) car comfort.

Having said that, I'd be happy to see a new MG saloon. It could be based
on the 75, but would need new bodywork to make it look like a true MG.

I like the idea that Jamie Kitman in Car magazine suggested. Mini, Land
Rover MG could be sold in the US in 'British Boutiques' - places with a
theme park British feel and offering other UK goods. OK, the English
would think it really naff, but it would be good marketing. Hey, it would
even give a home for all those old red phone boxes BT have been ripping
out! (not to mention a retirement home for John Cleese).

Cheers,

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World, PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361 www.chp.ltd.uk