Re: head gasket/break in questions

To: "ccrobins" <ccrobins@ktc.com>, "Gaetke" <gaetke@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: head gasket/break in questions
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 21:58:17 -0800
Charley............

Yup, you're gonna "gettit"...........:-)

But only because you state that the car should be left overnight before the
head nuts are re-torqued. I thought we covered this a few weeks back, but
here goes again..............

After the rebuild, the engine should be started and run till it reaches
normal operating temperature. Then the head should be re-torqued and the
valves re-adjusted. Then the car can be driven gently for 500 miles or so,
at which point the oil and filter should be changed and the head torque and
valve adjustment re-checked while the engine is warm. The only engines on
which you re-torque when the engine is cold are those having aluminum heads.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center