Re: 56K Line Speed?

To: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>, "ccrobins" <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: 56K Line Speed?
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 07:30:47 -0500
Niel Cotty wrote:

>The best US made modems to go for, for home use, IMHO are: US Robotics
>or Hayes. Anything else I wouldn't bet my $ on. I run USR digitals at
>work but there's a Hayes modem under my desk at the moment, besides
>being reliable, they're indestructable. I never get disconnected when
>using a USR or Hayes. Says something to me about their quality. BTW
>Can't you folks get Cable Internet in the US? We do here, it rocks! Too
>quick! <G> When it works that is! Mine has been down for two days -
>Telstra!!!

Not just any US Robotics modem, the sportsters and winmodems are trash.  The
US Robotics Courier series is probably the best modem available, however
they are expensive; $250+ for an external unit.  And if you're going to buy
a new modem and don't have much money to spend, do not - do not purchase a
modem that utilizes your main CPU rather than having a supplementry CPU on
the card itself, it will seriously degrade the performance of your computer;
they aren't an item worth investing in.

As for the "Cable Internet" it's garbage here in the US, poor and over sold
infrastructure... "shoelace" network design.  I'm sticking with my modem at
home until my area is offered xDSL service (superior to the cable
infrastructure!).  I'm kind of jealous of Trevor and most of the other
Canadians, they've had DSL access for quite some time!

Mike Lishego noted that in the US the modems are limited to 53k connections,
righto... thank your friendly FCC, this only effected the older x2 (US
Robotics and compatible) modems, K56Flex wasn't limited to this as the two
technologies both achieved "56k" differently.  Now you have V.90 which was
the agreed standard to replace both K56Flex and x2.  I can't remember
whether V.90 was restricted to the 53k cieling.

LBC Content: my MGB leave soon (quiet Hooray!) and the TR6 will get an
electronic ignition, and today I'll be rebuilding my passenger's side rear
taillamp... a runaway shopping cart busted my reverse lens, so I figured why
not clean the whole thing up.

Good Day!

--
Kai Radicke -- kai@radiohead.net