Re: 3-synchro OD tranny prob

To: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: 3-synchro OD tranny prob
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 22:54:20 -0700
I too have a '67 B with three synchro OD trans.  This is something that you
have to
learn how to handle.

Since there is no synchro on 1st gear, you could be litterally hitting a wall
with
your layshaft and 1at  gear.  The way a trans works is through a series of
"broken"
shafts, and sliding mechanical connections to "unbreak" the transfer of rotation
(through the layshaft).  If 1st gear is not properly aligned with the gear on
the
layshaft, you can not go into gear - there are actual gears meshing.  Another
thing
you don't want to do is try to shift into first when gear speeds aren't (at
least
close to) matched - i.e. don't try to shove it in 1st when slowing down to a
stop
unless you are really good, and within 1 - 2 mph of stopped.

Anyhow, this is how I get my 3 synchro into first.  From a stop, I put the car
in
2nd (it has a synchro).  Let the clutch out just enough to make the car barely
roll.  Put the clutch back in, and go directly from 2nd to 1st.  Works every
time,
and should do minimal if any damage to the gears.

Good luck Denise - Glad to see you back on the list!
Phil Bates