MGB Tunes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Tunes
From: "Dan Ray" <raydan67@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:08:34 PST
I've come across an interesting set of affordable technology that suits
my needs for occasional long drives in my 73 MGB without having to
splice wires or find places to cut the stock interior and thought I'd
pass it along.
Today I bought an RCA "car/personal CD Player" set. Part# RP2249.
It's a set of small "decent" amplified speakers (takes 4 ea. C-cell
batteries); :40sec ESP CD player (takes 2 AA batteries); headphones; and
misc. adaptors -- AC/DC and cigarette lighter.
I got it for $90 at the Ft. Knox Post Exchange. YMMV.
I'm not a stereophile per se, but on the occasional long trip in my B,
I'd like to have some music other than the wind and the engine (takes my
mind off of the sunburn). I wasn't thrilled about installing a stereo
into a car when the blinkers have a hard time blinking at idle with the
stock Lucas electrics. I have a blank plate where the original radio
went.
I plan to put "hookside" velcro on the speakers so they stick to the rug
behind the seats, or wherever. I can remove the whole thing when I want
(i.e. when I park at a big event, I don't have to cut anything, and I
can move the little speakers for the best sound. The speakers and player
are battery-powered, so I don't have to tap into the B's electrical
system.
I don't know how good the player is on bumps yet, and top-down will
probably drown out the little suckers.
I'll keep ya'll informed -- it sounds damn good on batteries here in my
den!. I can let the wife play CDs in her non-CD Mazda when I'm away with
the cassette adaptor, too!
Why install, when you don't have to? We'll see, won't we?
Cheers,
Dan
73B
testing the battery life of this little kit