Re: Oil pressure Q's

To: Joanna Adler <joannaadler@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Oil pressure Q's
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:43:12 +0000
Joanna Adler wrote:

> I have this BIG trip all planned out, and while I don't plan on
> everything going smoothly (it is a 20 yr old car), that doesn't mean I
> want to come home and put a "for sale" ad in the paper.  (Unless, of
> course, it's because I won one of the cars being raffled off!) <G>

OK Joanna, I'll bite (but only because I sense a veiled dig at me in
here somewhere :-)  Now the following may seem like I am trying to
justify my actions, but this is only because I am!

Firstly, it appears to have been almost proven that my little car did
not, in fact, suffer the head gasket problem that I thought it had on
the rather punishing little trial I put it through - and remember, my
car is 30 YEARS OLD (yours is just a kid).  It appears that it may have
been the mechanic (and to some degree myself... although the mechanic
should have known better) that had the head problem.

Yes, I had oil and oil pressure problems when travelling for hours at
65mph but know it seems I have learned about how crankcase ventilation
gear can stuff up and simply suck your oil away (to put it simply).

Sweet little Primrose was always known to be on the verge of major
engine work (i.e. a rebuild) and also needed a carby re-build, too.
Pulling the head off just revealed a few hidden faults that I would
rather have not confronted.  There is a possibility that the thing was
not put back together as well as it could have been, too  - more on this
after a visit to the REAL doctor this week.

Finally, my reason for selling her is simply that she needs a few grand
worth of work (after spending a few grand on fiddly little bits so far
in the first twelve months) that will not bering her up to a standard of
vehicle I could have if I sell her and add these extra bucks to the
money I get and hunt down a good deal somewhere.  In other words, and
engine and carby re-build will mean she is wonderfully fit and
healthy... but this does not give her a new paint job and some needed
body work to make her look AND act really nice!

THEN I can start playing traineee mechanic again but from a far more
advance starting point.  I am sure that she will go to a good home.

If I DON'T sell her and the engine deteriorates further I will be forced
to paint her blue with white Cobra stripes; drop a supercharged Rover V8
under the bonnet; flare the guards; put super fat tyres and rims on her;
hang some fluffy dice from the mirror.........

Eric
'68MGB MkII