Re: Carburettor dilemma

To: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Carburettor dilemma
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 12:37:58 -0800 (PST)
Dear Denise,

I've had my SU's rebuilt completely for $150 the pair by this Jim Taylor
guy in OK. He even includes an engineering and bench test for the process.
Heck for that price you essentially get new carbs. When I had to have my
car smogged for the last time, the car passed WITHOUT ANY adjustment on
the carbs. I just bolted 'em on and went through with flying colors.

As for Hell hole, during the summers I couldn't agree more strongly, I
hate summer here.
However the winters are great. BTW, I've lived all over the country and
you can do so much worse than the Inland Empire, I wouldn't complain too
much about it.

For starters, compare California's I.E. with ANY PLACE in Texas or the
Southeast.

Now I know you are comparing the I. E. with S. D., and by those standards
the I.E. SUCKS. However, compared to S. D. almost everywhere sucks. Sorry
to inform you, but you've been spoiled.

FWIW, how have you handled the overheating problem our MGs have here?

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance."
John J. Peloquin, Assistant Research Entomologist
Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999 xyzabcde@earthlink.net wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having no luck finding a machine shop that will ream SU's for oversize
> throttle shafts.  Some of them actually admit that they won't do it because
>they
> don't make enough money off of it.  Instead, they want me to pay them to
>rebuild
> the carbs completely.  Fat chance.
>
> I've found a tool store that will sell me the correct reamer (.323" or 'P'
> reamer) for $16.50 plus tax.  This seems like a good thing to own when I own
> eight sets of SU's.  The problem is, the reamer has a smooth shank to fit in a
> drill press or mill and I don't have either.  I could probably rig up
>something
> so that I could ream by hand, but I don't think I could do it acurately
>enough.
>
> Here are the options as I see it.  Drive a car getting 10mpg to San Diego (200
> miles one way) to have my old machinist do it.  Take reamer, carb bodies, and
> throttle shafts on a tour of all of the local machine shops, bat my eyelashes
> and hope someone takes pity on me.  Mail the aforementioned bits to some kind
> person on the list to be reamed and mailed back to me (hint, hint).  Widen my
> area of search and try to find a real machine shop.
>
> BTW, I'm in the Inland Empire, which is a euphemism for the hellhole east of
>LA
> on the border of Los Angeles and San Bernardino Counties.  Truck pulls are the
> height of culture around here.

Don't forget the Date Festival!!!!!   ;-)

And the dead Sonny Bono, former congressman for lots of the desert.

> I'm near Pomona where I grew up and which I've
> always referred to as the armpit of LA County.  I'm now in the armpit of San
> Bernardino County, birthplace of the Hell's Angels and John Birch Society.
> If
> you see "Berdoo" on the back of a biker's jacket, he or she is from San
> Bernardino.  Does anyone know of a good machine shop in this area?

You might talk to Import Auto up on 9th st. in San Berdoo for some
suggestions too.