Re: '73 Oil Pump Removal

To: "Michael P. Thelen" <mthelen@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: '73 Oil Pump Removal
From: David Lynes <cdlynes@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:07:02 -0500
So, you buy one LBC and now you are MGBMike?

Good for you!

My two cents, Mike?  You are going to have to take it in to a machine shop
for the hot tank and assorted machining, don't waste your time any longer.
Put it in the back of your other ride, take it to you friendly neighborhood
machinist, and let them press the pistons out with their hydraulic press.
That way, you don't screw up the bore any more than it already is by
"whaling" with the proverbial BFH.

With reference to the oil pump, there should be nothing else holding it on
besides the three nuts on the studs. I agree, tap with a rubber hammer or
block of wood, to displace it. Or try the thin putty knife trick. It will
come off, then you can take the studs off, if you want to (I didn't last B
rebuild).

I purchased an inexpensive engine stand years ago. I think it is
indispensable in rebuilding an engine.

Good luck.

David Lynes, Woodstock, GA
73 Midget