RE: MG Shopping

To: "Dan Ray" <raydan67@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: MG Shopping
From: "Steve Conley" <swconley@foxinternet.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 16:10:53 -0800
Dan-
Well, the 1st car I looked at was a '72 that looked nice from the outside.
It was stored in a musty barn/garage & he still had the battery charger
hooked up.  It took a while to start, then a while longer to keep running!
It was sputtering and backfiring, but I still wanted to give it a spin.
Once on the road, it seemed to be running OK, then I put it in N to stop at
the stop sign and it died while I was still rolling. Tried to re-start- no
go. Luckily a neighbor of his who had seen me looking at the car gave me a
ride back to his house and I said no thanks!
Then I went to look at a '76 that the owner said was in good mechanical
condition, but has dents in the door and hood. This sounded like what I was
looking for, so I went to see it. Took it for a spin and it drove real nice.
(Especially compared to the '72) Besides the exterior damage, one of the
back-up lights and the fuel gauge are non-functioning, so I talked her down
to $2000 from $2500 (pending a once-over by a mechanic) Gave her a deposit
to hold it, so by this time next week I should be tooling around in my own
MG!!!! (BTW-I couldn't find any rust, looks like it has been well
maintained)

Thanks to all who all who offered advice, I'm sure I'll be looking for more
pointers once I pick it up and start working on it.

Steve Conley
Marysville, WA  USA
MG wannabe (er...gonnabe!)
mailto:swconley@foxinternet.net