Re: MGB LE Air Conditioning Issue

To: tom.winslow@prodelin.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB LE Air Conditioning Issue
From: EricSsmc@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 17:00:05 EST
Tom,
I've got a 79 with air conditioning as well, and am getting ready to bring it
back up to specs.  I've had to replace the the compressor, as the bearings
were growling a bit.  These systems were strictly add-on, stand alone systems,
and are really very simple as compared to A/C systems on American cars.  The
only problem with keeping R-12 is the availablility and price.  R-134 is now a
fraction of the cost of R-12, and for all practical purposes does the same job
as R-12.  I'm converting my car to R-134 since it is also readily available to
me over the counter, as R-12 is not!  If you want to discuss this deeper, call
me, or drop by one weekend and we can talk cars and A/C!  Flying Circus should
do a good job on your A/C if they are willing to service it.  Typically, the
B/L A/C systems (like most add-on kits) are shunned by most garages and
service centers since they were add-on kits, and replacement parts are not the
easiest to find.  Walk into NAPA and ask for a condenser for an MGB and watch
them scratch their heads!

Good luck!

Eric Swanger
(704)-875-6118