Re: MGB LE Air Conditioning Issue

To: tom.winslow@prodelin.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB LE Air Conditioning Issue
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 18:37:53 EST
Thomas,
If the A/c has not worked for a number of years it is most likely empty from
either a leak or normal outgassing of the hoses (read leaks through the hose
itself).  So at this point there is probably no R-12 to recover
1st Question is the compressor any good?  Or is it locked up?  Are you sure?
2nd Question is the compressor clutch any good?  By applying 12v to the clutch
wire that should cause a resounding click at the compressor clutch and
movement should be seen.  If no click or movement the clutch is probably
toast.  Not knowing which compressor is on your car I do not have any fault
tracing that I can give you for the compressor itself.  A professional A/C
repair shop can check it out I'm sure.
As far as what to put into the system this is a larger can of worms that "for
the best gas mileage when towing my B with OD backward do I disconnect the
driveshaft?" <G>

I can tell you this, however.  R-12 the old Freon is no longer made.  One
pound cans are no longer legal for sale, and to buy 30lbs cans requires a
license (only recovered / recycled R-12 is available)
R-134 is what car makers have replaced R-12 with.  R-134 can be retrofitted
into a R-12 system, sometimes with no changes to the system sometimes with
changes to the expansion valve / orifice tube.  R-134 requires a different
lubricant than R-12 generally an ester oil is used in retrofits as it mixes
with the mineral oil used in R-12 systems and the combo does the lubricating.
In any retrofit the fittings must be changed so that refrigerants cannot be
mixed by someone at a later date servicing the system.  (In the A/C business
this is referred to as a virus)  This requirement by the way is part of
federal law.
Now here is where the fun begins there are several companies of oh shall I say
dubious reputations that are telling people that they sell a "drop in"
replacement for R-12.  Meaning that no I repeat no system modifications are
necessary.  At least one of these "drop ins" contains propane as part of it's
gas mixture!  There has been at least one case of severe burns after a leak.
This drop ins are of dubious cooling ability at best (none have been approved
by IMACA (International Mobile A/C. Association).  And if you do charge your
system with one of these mixtures, the problem is where will you get it
serviced?  A shop would have to have a separate recovery / charging station
for whatever was in your system (a couple of grand outlay) This again is
federal law.
My advice is investigate having your system converted to R-134, it is
available, and works.  Ge3t a hotrod mag and look for an ad from Classic Air
they probably can help
I'll get off my soap box now and put on my flame suit.
$.02
Rick Ewald
67 B (for A/C I take the top down and drive real fast.) (or I take the Volvo)