Re: Connecticut and emmissions

To: wisem@db.erau.edu
Subject: Re: Connecticut and emmissions
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 22:45:18 EST
On Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:24:17 -0500 (EST) "Mark A.  Wise"
<wisem@db.erau.edu> writes:
>Hi all...
>
>I'm going to be moving to Connecticut this summer with my 1980 MGB.  I
>was
>wonderinf if there are emmisions laws/statndards in place there?  And
>if
>so, how strict are they?  The reason I ask is that I'd like to take
>some
>of my California emmissions "stuff" off of my car to give it a little
>more
>pep.
>
>Thanks!
>
>- mark

Hi Mark
Connecticut is relatively lenient on emissions - all cars over 25 are
exempt  but since you have one of them "new fangled" cars you will need
to get through - all cars from out of state getting registered have to go
through safety inspections - and those are quite challenging, especially
for brakes since the computer tests are geared to self adjusted set ups -
NO MG will get through first time without a lot of luck
With your CA junk in place it should be no problem getting through with
the usual caveats (change the oil, lean it off a bit etc)- Best bet is to
get the car pre-checked by one of the local shops once you get here to
see what you may or may not need.
It isnt the end of the world if you fail anyway, one retest is free
within 30 days and if you demonstrate thet you spent $150 or more to fix
it and it still fails then you get a waiver anyway!
Safety checks are one time only when the car is registered and emissions
are every other year - once you get through you can desmog the car to
your hearts content!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT