Why I use Mobil 1

To: <BDurgin1@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Why I use Mobil 1
From: "Bill Eastman" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 12:00:50 -0600
Why do I use Mobil 1?  I wish I could say it is because I get paid but
that is not the case.  I started using Mobile one 12 years ago when I
purchased a Chrysler LeBaron Coupe with the Turbo 2.2l engine.  I had
learned a little about synthetics during my IC engine studies at the U
of M but at that time there was limited information available.  One
thing I did know was that Mobil 1 was much more stable at high
temperatures.  Having had a Corvair turbo destroyed by carbon buildup
in the bearing, I wanted to give the LeBaron the best chance to live a
long and happy life.  It did not lead that life but the turbo bearing
was not the reason!

After selling the car I went back to regular oil for a while but
started pouring Mobil 1 again five or so years ago for the following
reasons:

Synthetics keep the inside of your engine clean enough to eat from.

Synthetic viscosity varies less with temperature.  This means easier
cold starts (important in Minnesota) and quicker oil to the engine
when cold.  The A hold a bit more hot pressure too.

Less wear/ more slippery.  The reason they tell you not to break an
engine in on synthetic is NOT because it will wear out faster but
because the superior lubrication may prevent the rings from sealing.
This can be overcome with proper machining techniques as all Corvettes
come with Synthetic from the factory.

I can extend oil changes to 5000 miles.  This makes remembering when
to change the oil a lot easier.  It also means that the A can survive
on two changes a year (spring and fall) rather than three with a
typical 4-5k annual use.

High temp stability although without a turbo this is less of an issue.

And last but not least there is the feeling that I am doing everything
I can to keep the engine running well.

As far as negatives go, it is more expensive and, since regular oil is
good enough, it is impossible to justify from a cost standpoint.  I
have also heard that it can effects seals and cause leakage.  Indeed
the LeBaron did leak oil (rear seal) after 40k miles.  My Honda's do
not (50k and 60k mi respectively).  As far as the A goes, I don't
think that there is a rubber seal in the whole engine to swell so the
point is moot.  If a little more sneaks out then it does.  I can live
with that.  As far as cost goes,  saving one change per year on the A
makes it pretty much a wash.  On the daily drivers it costs me about
20 bucks more every 15k miles because the added cost is partially
offset by the longer intervals.

So, is synthetic worth it?   It is to me.  The negligible difference
in cost is offset by peace of mind.   The oil keeps the engine
cleaner, is more stable, and gets to the bearings faster on startup.
It is also wonderful to have your car start at 30 below F.  At that
temperature you can actually see the waxes in regular oil solidify.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA who doesn't have to start at 30 below and is very happy about
that.

>>> <BDurgin1@aol.com> 03/02/99 01:05pm >>>
Interested in your note about Mobil 1. <snip> Please, let me know what
prompted you to use the synthetics and what success/etc you have had
with them.  I'm really interested in this!!!
Bruce Durgin
64 B