Re: Why I use Mobil 1

To: dresden@tiac.net
Subject: Re: Why I use Mobil 1
From: ccrobins <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 07:05:08 -0600
  Somewhere in this thread there was a reference to "no more black oil"
when using synthetics.  I read a tech article some years ago - in one of
the motoring mags - which stated that when your oil turned black it was
because the detergent additives were doing their jobs by (among other
things) keeping combustion byproducts (carbon?) in suspension so that
they could be drained out of the engine with the old oil.  We change the
oil mainly because the additives lose their effectiveness through
contamination and chemical breakdown.  So there you have another point
of view.

  One of the problems with our hi-tech world is keeping up with the
changes, both in the technology and in the current thinking about it.

  CR