Re: spun bearing? Rattly bearing noise?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spun bearing? Rattly bearing noise?
From: "Palmer Family" <amesfolks@snovalley.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:22:27 -0800
I appreciate everyones responses to my question about the noise, even the
very inteligent questions <g> (i.e. the one below).   I looked under the
valve cover before I new it was from below.  Many people said it was
probably the starter.  The starter (rebuilt) went bad about the same time as
the noise started.  The bendix on the rebuilt broke, it just spun freely on
the shaft.

The noise and the strarter are complete opposites.  When I put the sump and
valve cover back on today, I started and heard the noise again. I shut it
off and started looking at the water pump.  I soon realized that the belt
could be moved back and forth about 1/4".  I looked at the pulley on the
water pump, it was tight, the alternator was tight, and WALAA!  The bolt
that goes into the end of the crankshaft is completley out!

Since that pulley is cup shaped, it held onto it even though the nut was
completly loose.  I have to lift the engine part of the way out to put it
back in...

-Barry Palmer