[Fwd: Why I use Mobil 1]

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Why I use Mobil 1]
From: Karl Shultz <karl.shultz@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 01:57:06 +0000
FWIW...

I think Mobil 1, or a similar synthetic, is a good idea for those of us
who really care about their cars (and I think it's safe to say that's
everyone on this list).

One of the best things about buying the orange B is that working on it
has made me brave enough to do work on my daily driver/track car, an
Integra GS-R.  I've had it since new, and I've beaten on it pretty hard
at this point (2.5 seasons of autocross, the occasional foray onto
country roads, track schools).  I did a valve adjustment on the car, and
the cam lobes look like chrome.  No wear at all according to the
micrometer.

Moreover...most people aren't exactly putting 20K miles a year on their
MGs.  So it costs an extra 10 bucks or so to run synthetic for an oil
change.  To me that's trivial compared with the peace of mind putting
the best in my car gives me.  I'm not loaded with extra monet but I
think I can find an extra 50 dollars a year to know I'm doing the best
possible thing for the motor, even if it's only the best by a small
amount.

now, having said that...if your car leaks oil, it may not be a good
idea.  Synthetic flows a lot better, and it flows a lot better through
small passages.  Like bad spots in a rear main seal.  Of course, when
was the last time you heard of an MG leaking oil, so we'll just not
worry about that   :-)

Just my 2 cents...

--
Karl Shultz