smoking away

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: smoking away
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 21:43:43 -0400
>From: "michael poe" <mgbgt74@earthlink.net>
>To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: smoking away
>Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 19:37:33 -0600
>Sender: owner-mgs@autox.team.net
>
>Well, I was out for a nice drive... Everything was
>going fine till I hit a hill doing 70mph and white smoke just went
>everywhere(including inside the car) so I pulled over and found a nice river
>of antifreeze running down the side of the block.  It was coming from the
>head and block mating area, so I have the new headgasket..
.>Thanks
>Michael Poe
>1974 1/2 MGB GT

Micheal -

Are you sure it's not the heater control valve?  That's pretty close to the
head-block mating area - and an easy fix if it is the problem.  Presuming
that diagnosis is too good to be true,  while you have your head off, take
it to a machine shop to check for warping - they can skim it flat again if
necessary.  I would not reassemble with new gasket until this has been done.

Good luck,

Allen

(Oops, ' just read Lawrie's response and would like to ask,  Lawrie - do
you routinely champfer the stud holes first?  I've gotten mixed advice
about this. TIA)

Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
New Castle, VA 24127