Re: Stumbling B's

To: william.eastman@medtronic.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stumbling B's
From: H4aardvrk@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 22:01:27 EST
william.eastman@medtronic.com writes:

<< .  Screw what the manual says.  As
 always, my opinion, YMMV, in God we trust, yield to traffic on the left.

Bill,
     I own 4 MG-B's that are all emmision engines..The only complaint that I
have with any of them is the fuel mileage..They all run well,up to about
110,at 5280 ft altitude,where I live.
I maintain,that a properly tuned stock engine will perform in a lineral
fashion.It will give good driveability .  If the smog equipped engine fails to
perform well at any rpm range, it is a problem with the engine,not the way it
is equipped.A vaccuum leak, a blown head gasket, a malfunctioning carb, a
camshaft that was put in with the wrong timing marks,or a dizzy that is not to
spec will most often be the cause of a bad running engine.Cylinder head valve
problems can also cause ropey running.  A poor coil can cause poor top rpm
stumbleing...My 1974 MG-B's,a gt and a roadster,both run strongly up to the
6000 rpm redline.I would like to get more than 26mpg, but i can't
complain.They all pass the Colorado emmision standards,but all of the engines
are in a good state of repair.
     If a smog equipped engine is not running well,there is a mechanical or
electrical reaSON WHY THEY DON'T.
     yOURS, h4(hOWARD)
1974mg-bGT
1974mg-b ROADSTER