Re: Engine overhaul

To: ckrug@laf.cioe.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine overhaul
From: H4aardvrk@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 20:46:58 EST
In a message dated 3/7/99 8:34:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, ckrug@laf.cioe.com
writes:

<< Any weaknesses in this engine I should know about before I
 button it back up? >>
Calvin,
     91000 is a lot of miles!  If you have the engine out of the car,this is
an excellent time to mic all of the bering journals and cylinder bores.If you
can not do this,take the block and crank,with pistons to a good engine machine
shop and let them do it..Your cylinder hwad should have its valves reground
and seats dressed at the same time.OHHHHH..Opps..looks like a rebuild
here..Well, it should.  Why put a long mileage engine back in without checking
every part of it to insure that factory specs are there!!..And MG camshafts
are likely to show some flattening by now as well..and the lifters may be
marred by a bad camshaft..
     This is what I would be doing with any MG I owned,particullary if the
engine was not the original!   Money spent now may save you a lot of greif
later.And check that oil pump!
yours,H4(Howard)
1974MG-Bgt             (I have, in the past,written letters that suggest this
approach to a simple
1974MG-B roadster   sounding "gasket job" and been flamed..LOL..Do what you
will...reap
1976MG-B roadster    your own rewards)
1977MG-B roadster