Re: oil coolers

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Subject: Re: oil coolers
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 22:50:49 -0500

Larry Hoy wrote:

> > For all the others, install a temp gauge for your oil, find out if it is
> over 230` or whatever the limit is for the oil you run, then     > make an
> informed decision about buying a cooler.
>
> Interesting.  Jim you made me make a trip to my garage to look at a quart of
> Castrol 20W-50.  No mention of the maximum recommended operating
> temperature.
>
> Any body out there have any idea?  Would this temperature vary by brands,
> viscosities?

230 is about as high as you want the oil to get.  A nice temperature is
around 200-220.  You are in big trouble when the temp gauge starts to
see 250 degrees.  With regards to thermal ability, the synthetics are
leaps and bounds better than the dino oil.  Enrique mentioned that
Porsche and Mercedes recommend Mobil 1.  While they are sponsored by
Mobil 1, and they are advertising, Mobil 1 is regularly regarded as the
best synthetic oil out there.  Of course, one can use the regular dino
oil in the air cooled motors, and if it's good enough for them, then
they are certainly good enough for the water cooled bests we drive.  The
synthetic oils provide an extra measure against trouble.  Whether it is
worth the money is up to you.

Jay