Re: Body Shop vs. Restoration

To: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Subject: Re: Body Shop vs. Restoration
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@home.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 21:19:31 -0800
Chris Attias wrote:

> Well, I'm about to take the plunge and get my '64 MGB bodywork
> done--replacing rusted panels and repainting.  It looks like a complete
> strip of the paint, some sill and fender metal replacement (rear panel
> damage, rust--hope it isn't too bad under the part I can see!)  and paint.
> I'm really tempted to wait until I've gotten a little summer driving in
> before starting this project.  I'm not going to do much of the work
> myself--the HOA gets testy about bodywork on the driveway.  I'll stick to
> stripping and reinstalling parts.
>
> I took the car around to two local body shops and one small specialty
> British restorer for quotes, and it looks like $4000-5000 to all of them.
> Some interesting things I learned were:
>
> *I live in a small town/county--there aren't a lot of choices as far as
> people who know British cars.

        Look a bit further south. I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if
Monterey had the highest per capita population of MGB's in the world.

        I *would* talk to Mick at Import Repair Service in Salinas. He's the
only mechanic to ever do work that satisfied me. He probably knows of a
few shops which will do the work you're looking for. I hope he's still
around, we haven't lived there for 6 years, but everyone seemed to bring
their cars to him so I'd be surprised if he were kaput.

        Dave at British Motorsports in Campbell may also be able to give you a
pointer.

        Hope this helps,
        Dave Ambrose